Beach Walks & Hot and Cold Sandwich Night [RECIPE]
Good Morning Beautiful People!
I hope you’re having a lovely day. Around here we have been enjoying time on the beach, soaking up the sun, and watching the boats roll by. It has been so relaxing. The other night we were on the boardwalk and stopped to get ice cream. Within minutes the Noob Chef Junior was covered in chocolate ice cream, giggling her head off. My mommy instinct kicked in, and I began kicking myself for not bringing a pack of diaper wipes in the car. My husband patted my knee. “Let her get dirty” he said with a smile, “that’s just being a kid”. Ahhh, summer… this is why I love you. We don’t have to stress about being clean 24/7 and looking put together. Instead we can marvel at drippy ice cream hands and get sand in our shoes.
By the time we got home I remembered that it was 6 PM and I didn’t have anything on the table. Feeling super chill I decided on sandwiches. As I began to whip up a simple tuna salad, the idea struck me that we could do 1 cold sandwich and 1 hot sandwich and enjoy them both! To keep it lighter I turned them into open faced sandwiches. By the time we were done eating, our bellies were stuffed and everyone was happy. I hope you enjoy this simple recipe as much as I do. Stay tuned for more pictures everyone and as always, keep on cooking! ❤
Hot Ground Turkey Sandwich
- 1 lb. ground lean turkey breast
- 3 cups milk
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. Chicken bouillon
- 2 cranks of ground black pepper
- In a pan over medium-high heat saute the ground turkey breast until cooked, about 10 minutes. I seasoned mine with a chicken rub blend, but feel free to use whatever you have on hand. Set aside.
- In a large pot over medium heat melt the butter. Add in the flour to make a roux. Then add in the milk and chicken bouillon and begin to whisk. Continue whisking until it thickens to form a gravy, about 5-8 minutes. Add in the cooked ground turkey and mix well to combine. And you’re done! Serve over toast.
For the Cold Tuna Sandwiches
- 2 cans tuna in water, drained
- 2 generous tablespoons vegan mayo.
- 3 ribs celery, chopped small
- a dash of salt and black pepper to taste
- Mix everything in a large bowl until well combined. Then chill until ready to serve. Serve over toast and enjoy!