No Bake Vegan Bourbon Tiramisu [RECIPE]
Good Morning Everyone!
Happy Friday!! Do you have plans for the weekend? 🙂 Around here we are laying low and dreaming about the next dishes to cook. In fact, Mr. Noob Chef got a chuckle last night when I showed him the “food porn” section of Pinterest. He didn’t know there was such a thing. Pictures of the most savory, comforting dishes popped up all over our feed. We sat there swooning until our stomachs growled in protest and we had to whip up a snack. Lately I’ve been having a bit of a sweet tooth. This Vegan Tiramisu ticked all the boxes I was looking for: soft, not too sweet, perfectly balanced, yet bursting with flavor.
Having grown up with an Italian dad, I was often exposed to tiramisu. I know what good tiramisu tastes like and admittedly I wondered if this recipe could live up to the very high bar that I set. I pondered how coconut cream could be anything like mascarpone cream. How could ground walnut-cream be similar to the perfect blend of espresso, cognac, milk, sugar, and eggs? Is it even possible?
Oh you bet it is! 😉
This tiramisu had those decadent layers that we all look for… the coffee flavor that we all crave… the bits of chocolate that mix perfectly… and the luscious, soft, vanilla cream to bring the whole dish together. Like original tiramisu, this dish is best eaten after being chilled overnight. I chilled mine for 9 hours prior to eating. It was SO GOOD! I couldn’t find ladyfingers in the grocery store so I used thinly sliced pieces from an angel food loaf. It worked perfectly! They were light, spongy, and soaked up the freshly brewed coffee and coffee liqueur as well. The cream that I was completely scrutinizing was everything I hoped for, and not at all coconut-y because a bit of powdered sugar made it sweet and light. A final soft dusting of cocoa powder finished off the dessert and I was in heaven. The whole family polished off their plates and quickly called “dibs” claiming a slice for the following day. Now I call that a win! 😉
I hope you all love this recipe as much as we do. Stay tuned for more recipes, have a fabulous weekend, and as always, keep on cooking! ❤
No Bake Vegan Bourbon Tiramisu
- 1 (13.66 ounce) can full-fat coconut milk, chilled overnight in the fridge
- 2 tbsp. powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup ground walnuts, soaked for 20 minutes in water
- 10 tsp. water
- 3 shots coffee liqueur
- 1 cup Ladyfingers, Angel food cake loaf slices, or Bourbon biscuits
- 10 tbsp. strong coffee
- Cocoa powder, to dust
- Scoop out the coconut cream from the can. Discard the liquid underneath.
- Whip the coconut cream and 2 tbsp. of powdered sugar together. Place in the fridge to stiffen while you continue with the rest of the dish.
- In a high speed blender, mix the walnuts, water, 1 tsp. of sugar, and Kahlua together until you obtain a smooth cream. Set aside.
- Brew some hot coffee.
- Place the angel food cake in the bottom of a small brownie pan. Pour coffee over the slices just until they begin soaking the liquid up.
- Then scoop a layer of coconut cream, a layer of walnut cream, and then place another layer of angel food cake slices on top. Drizzle more coffee on the top and let it soak.
- Finish with the remaining layer of coconut cream. Dust with cocoa powder and chill for at least 9 hours or overnight.