Easy Vegan Bakewell Tart [RECIPE]
Good Morning Everyone!
Yesterday was one of those days. You know. Those days when nothing seems to be going quite right, and all you can think about is comfort food. Well, my restless hands wanted to bake and bust out some energy. Cue this bakewell tart. We’ve been watching “Father Brown” on Netflix, (such a GREAT show!), and Mrs. McCarthy was gushing about her bakewell tart. Now given that we aren’t British we were instantly curious what a bakewell tart is. So we googled it. For all my fellow non-Brits, a bakewell tart is is an English dessert that has a shortcrust pastry shell, a layer of jam, frangipane, and flaked almonds on top. Yeah, I had no idea what frangipane was either. LOL.
But I knew I wanted to explore more…
Then I stumbled across this vegan version by The Happy Pear and was instantly hooked. Taking away the cherry jam (ew, cherries!) this recipe replaces it with fresh fruit. The frangipane is made with maple syrup, ground almonds, a flax egg, and coconut oil. O.M.G. Yummm! It was decadent and so delicious! When it finally popped out of the open my mouth fell open in shock. It looked perfect! I’ll let you be the judge of this for yourself, but it’s safe to say I’ll definitely be making this again. 🙂 Have an awesome day everyone and as always, keep on cooking! ❤
Vegan Bakewell Tart
For the Shortcrust Pastry:
- 150g / 1 cup buckwheat flour OR flour of your choice
- 75g / 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 2 tbsp. cold water
- A pinch of salt
For the Jam/Fruit Layer:
- 250g / 2 cups fresh strawberries or raspberries
For the Frangipane:
- 100g / 2/3 cup coconut oil
- 110g / 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 125g / 3/4 cup ground almonds
- 1 flax egg (which is 1 tbsp. flaxseed + 3 tbsp. water; let it rest for 10 min. before using)
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
For the Garnish:
- A handful of flaked almonds on top
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (C) / 350 degrees (F).
- Line a small spring-form pan with wax paper.
- Make the shortcrust pastry. Add flour, coconut oil, and a pinch of salt to a bowl and massage with your fingers until all of the lumps are one. It should look like little breadcrumbs.
- Add two tbsp. of water and press the mixture together into a firm dough ball.
- Transfer the dough ball into the cake tin and press firmly into the bottom of the pan to completely cover it.
- Pop the pan into the oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Next, make the frangipane. Mix the flax egg together in a small dish and set aside.
- Add the almond flour, coconut oil, maple syrup, and baking powder in a small bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- When the flax egg is done, put into the frangipane mixture and mix well to combine.
- Then finely chop your berries.
- Take the shortcrust pastry out of the oven and cover with berries. Then make a layer of frangipane. Add another layer of berries followed by the final layer of frangipane.
- Lastly, dot the top of the tart with berries and a handful of flaked almonds.
- Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Let cool for about 15 minutes and enjoy!