Weekend Tofu Breakfast Sandwich [RECIPE]
Good Morning Everyone!
I hope you’re having a relaxing, and lovely weekend. I love making a big breakfast for Saturday morning and after coming off a week of being raw vegan, even I was chomping at the bit for a delicious, hot meal. As I rolled out of bed yesterday morning visions of sandwiches danced in my head. Now obviously I couldn’t stroll down to my local Starbucks for an egg and bacon sammie on brioche, so I whipped up this delicious vegan version and it was really good!
I do want to add that next time I will mash the avocado, as wedges tend to be a bit slippery. I’ll also add a bit of heat to the tofu. I was so focused on making it look like egg that I forgot to ramp up the flavor. All in all though it was simple, filling, and really tasty. Give it a try and let me know what you think! Cheers everyone and keep on cooking! ❤
Weekend Tofu Breakfast Sandwich
- 1 loaf ciabatta bread
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 large tomato, sliced into rounds
- 1 block of extra firm tofu, drained and sliced into 1/2-inch patties
- 1 package frozen potato hash-browns ( 1 per sandwich)
For seasoning the tofu:
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- Several dashes of turmeric
- Oil for frying
For the sauce:
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons vegannaise
- Begin by warming the ciabatta bread in the oven for about 10 minutes. Then remove, slice lengthwise, and divide into four portions. Set aside.
- In a large non-stick skillet, drizzle several tablespoons of oil and turn on the stove to medium-high heat. As the pan is warming up, drain your tofu removing as much water as you can. Then place the tofu in the skillet and begin to fry.
- As the tofu is frying, pour on several tablespoons of soy sauce, sprinkle nutritional yeast, and turmeric and continue to fry for about 5 minutes or until your tofu is nice and golden. Flip them over and fry for another 5 minutes on the other side. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- While the skillet is hot with oil, place 4 potato hash-brown patties in the pan. Fry for 5 minutes on each side, then set aside.
- Separately slice your tomato into rounds and scoop out the avocado into a bowl. (I would mash it instead of making wedges 🙂 ).
- Lastly, in a small mixing bowl combine equal parts ketchup and vegannaise to form the sauce.
- Now it’s time to assemble! Place the hash-brown on the bottom part of the bread followed by tofu-egg, tomato, avocado, then a smear of sauce on the top part of the bread. Close the sandwich and dig in! 🙂 Enjoy!