Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup [RECIPE]
Good Afternoon Everyone!
I hope you’re pacing yourself as we kick off a new week. Around here things have been busy. And when it gets super busy I crave soup. Delicious, comforting, throw it in the crock pot and call it a day… soup. Matzo ball soup is one of my favorite recipes when I’m feeling sluggish and I just can’t pull it together. I want to, I need to, I long to shake off those winter sluggish feelings but I’m cold! And my body longs to stay in bed when the sun doesn’t even come out. So instead I yank on my slippers and head off to cook this glorious chicken soup. Mmmm chicken soup! Just the thought gives you the good feels, doesn’t it? 🙂 I always toss in a whole chicken for this soup.
Pro Tip: When you buy a whole chicken, if you’re pulling it from your freezer (like I always do) stick it in a giant bowl of room temperature water for 4 hours before you cook. Then it will be defrosted and ready to go!
Yes, this soup keeps it simple with carrot, celery, onion, and chicken. I always inhale deeply when I toss in dried thyme, rosemary, and sage. I swoon at those herbs. Soon your home will be filled with the smell of delicious, aromatic chicken soup and you’ll want to buy a baguette to warm up in the oven to nosh on right along side of your bowl of soup. After cooking in the slow cooker for 4 hours on HIGH the meat was falling off of the bones. I tore it apart with two forks, tossed it back in, and set the crock pot to warm. Dinner is served… ❤
I hope you all enjoy this recipe as much as we do. Have a wonderful rest of the day everyone, and as always, keep on cooking! 🙂
Slow Cooker Chicken Soup
- 1 3 lb whole chicken
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 stalks of celery, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 bunch of parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups of liquid (I used 4 cups chicken stock and 2 cups of water)
- 3/4 tsp sea salt (add more if desired)
- pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp curry powder (optional)
Note: I also add in a splash of shaoxing wine, 1 tsp. of minced ginger, and 1 tablespoon of minced garlic too.
- Wash and remove giblets from chicken.
- Add chicken to slow-cooker and top with celery, carrots and onion.
- Tie together parsley with string and place on top.
- Add bay leaf.
- Pour in liquid.
- Add salt.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours.
- Remove bay leaves and parsley from slow-cooker and using large spoons remove the chicken. Let cool for 10 mins.
- Meat should easily come off the bone and then chop into bite sized pieces and place back into slow-cooker with veggies. Remove as much meat as you can.
- Add in additional salt if desired, pepper and curry powder if using.
- Serve warm or keep in fridge for up to one week.
- If keeping in fridge, the next day feel free to remove layer of fat from top using a spoon.