How Not to Die Cookbook: Cauliflower & Chickpea Curry [VEGAN RECIPE]
Good Morning Everyone! ❤
We’re back with another recipe from Dr. Greger’s popular new cookbook, “How Not to Die Cookbook”. This time it’s a simple curry that you can make start to finish in 30 minutes. As the title suggests the bulk of this dish comes from cauliflower florets and canned chickpeas/garbanzo beans, so you’re packing in a ton of fiber, minerals, and nutrients with every bite. Yesterday I was a bit tired so admittedly…. I pulled out my slower cooker to get this meal underway. I tossed everything into the slow cooker on HIGH for 6 hours and it came out to tender perfection by dinnertime. If you want to cook it via stove top as the directions state below, go for it! 🙂 As you can see, Dr. Greger’s dish looked absolutely mouthwatering….
And I knew I had to try it! The family absolutely loved it. Now I want to insert here that in our house we do love curry a bit more spicy. That said, I also added chili-garlic sauce to the dish and a bit of shaoxing wine to boost up the flavor and heat. But if you like a more mild, flavorful curry then keep the recipe as is. I promise you it’s worth the try and if you’re feeling too tired to cook, but you still want to get in those veggies, just do what I did and toss it all in the slower cooker! 🙂 I hope you all enjoy this recipe. Have a wonderful Tuesday everyone and as always, keep on cooking! ❤
Chickpea & Cauliflower Curry
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 head cauliflower, trimmed and cut into florets
- 8 ounces green beans, trimmed into 1 inch pieces
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can of diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 roasted red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 cup almond milk
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Cooked rice to serve
- In a large pot, heat the broth to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic, cover, and cook until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the jalapeno and curry powder; then add the cauliflower, green beans, tomatoes, and roasted red bell peppers. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- When the veggies are tender, use an immersion blender to break up some of the vegetables. Alternatively, use a food processor and scoop out 2 cups of vegetables to break them down and add them back into the pot. Stir in the Almond milk, nutritional yeast, smoked paprika, and chickpeas and cook 5 to 10 minutes longer to heat through and blend the flavors.
- Serve over a bed of rice and enjoy! 🙂