How Not to Die Cookbook: Spinach & Mushroom Black Bean Burritos [VEGAN RECIPE]
Good Afternoon Everyone! 🙂
How are you doing? Are you having a lovely Saturday? Today was shopping day around here so we needed to fuel up for the list of errands we were smashing all into one day. I woke up early to make these burritos and wow, they did not disappoint! Dr. Greger has done it again with these healthy burritos that ensure you get your greens in at the start of the day. If I’m being perfectly honest, because these burritos don’t have meat or rice to bulk them up… I think they are best served over a bed of white or brown rice as opposed to a wrap. Try both and see what you enjoy. 🙂
I also decided to load the mix up with more leftover vegetables I had on hand and the mix turned out to look like this….
Yummy, right?! 🙂 There are black beans, red onion, mushrooms, corn, salsa, diced bell peppers, spinach, and kale! Yum!! Of course Dr. Greger’s burritos looked super pretty….
And mine looked… well…
So I said “forget it” and decided to show you a picture with it open faced…. 😉
That’s better! And you can see all of the colorful veggies inside too. These burritos held over our tummies as we went from store to store running errands. I was so thankful that they were hearty enough, because shopping on an empty stomach always leads to overspending, am I right? 🙂 Anyway, I hope you all enjoy this recipe as much as we did. Be sure to check out Dr. Greger’s Cookbook, “How Not to Die Cookbook” and stay tuned for more recipes. Have a wonderful weekend everyone and as always, keep on cooking! ❤
Spinach & Mushroom Black Bean Burritos
Serves: 4 servings
- 1.5 cups or 1 (15.4 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup minced red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Cayenne pepper to taste (Note: I used 1 tablespoon Sriracha instead)
- 4 whole grain tortillas
- Salsa to serve with the burritos
- In a bowl, mash the black beans with a fork and set aside.
- Heat 1/4 cup water in a skillet and add the onion and garlic. Cooking until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes to soften.
- Add the spinach and cook for an additional minute or until wilted and tender.
- Add the mashed black beans and stir until the liquid is absorbed. Then stir in the nutritional yeast, spices, cayenne or hot sauce, and adjust seasonings to your liking.
- To serve, spoon a quarter of the mixture down in the center of each tortilla. Add more hot sauce if desired. Roll up burrito tucking in the sides as you do so. Serve with salsa and eat hot. Enjoy! 🙂