Cooking With Kids: Slow Cooker Potato Soup [RECIPE]
Good Morning Everyone!
It’s Monday again and we’re all back to the grind. Save yourself time and a headache tonight by tossing some simple ingredients into a slow cooker before you head off to work. Yes, this recipe is super simple and very adaptable with whatever you may have on hand. Normally I use an onion in potato soup but guess what? I didn’t have one. Instead, I dug through the freezer and lo and behold I had a bag of frozen leeks! Score! (Thank you Trader Joe’s for this awesome frozen veggie bag I can’t find anywhere else). This recipe is perfect for cooking with your children because it focuses on chopping skills. The Noob Chef Junior helped me chop everything up and into the crock pot it went.
She poured in water and a bit of chicken bouillon to cover everything. We sang out the Simon and Garfunkel song (Scarborough Fair) to remember the perfect herb-y blend to season with: parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme…. and we were set! We cooked everything on LOW for 8 hours and by dinnertime it was finished. Now I call that easy, home cooking. My kiddo felt so proud of this tasty soup. I hope you all enjoy it too. Stay tuned for more delicious recipes. Have a wonderful day everyone and as always, keep on cooking! ❤
Slow Cooker Potato Soup
Serves: 8-10 servings
- 6 red potatoes, cubed
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- Any leftover meat, diced
- 8 cups water
- 2 tbsp. chicken bouillon
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- 1 tsp. dried sage
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- Salt and black pepper to taste
To thicken soup at the end after cooking:
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 3 tbsp. all purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- Place all of the ingredients in a large slow cooker and cover. Cook on LOW for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours of cooking, remove lid. Scoop out half of the potatoes, vegetables, etc. leaving most of the soup broth. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat melt the butter. Add the flour to make a roux. Pour in the milk and stir to make a simple gravy. Add the gravy to the soup broth and mix well. (I used my immersion blender for this part).
- Add the potatoes, meat, and veggies back in. Stir and serve hot. Enjoy! 🙂