My Favorite Health Products for Fitness Beginners & Vegan Hot Cocoa [RECIPE]
Good Morning Everyone!
It’s 2018! YAY! How are you? Did you have a Happy New Year’s? Around here things were quiet. For the past couple of days I was resting up my muscles from my 4-mile a day workouts. They’re intense! I now have a huge respect for people who say “Oh I run 5-10 miles a day”. Wow! I tip my hat to you, and hope that one day I can get there too. Until then, I’ll be walking my way to good health.
Speaking of walking and everything health related, I wanted to gush a moment about things I’m incorporating into the new year to attain better health. (None of these are sponsored… I just think they rock 🙂 ).
- Leslie Sansone’s Walk At Home Program: Okay, here’s a really fast story for you. So when it comes to working out I’m even MORE of a Noob then I am at cooking. In other words, I’m out of shape. But I was determined to find a workout program that was: A. fat people friendly B. relaxing and not super “up in my face” and C. Do-able for total beginners. I stumbled across Leslie’s program on Youtube and I was hooked. I swear as I live and breathe the whole program is 4 basic walking steps. At times you go faster, and then slower. Sometimes you lift your arms. But basically, anyone can do this program. It’s awesome. So I gave it a try, and guess what? I found out that I actually enjoy walking! She’s super upbeat but not “sugary bubbly” which I enjoy. The music is awesome to follow along to. And I used my pedometer with her videos and you really do clock the same miles as she teaches! In a twist of fate, I was at my local thrift store/ charity shop, when I came across ALL of Leslie’s DVDs in perfect condition for the low price of…. $2.00 USD!! It was fate and I was sold. I’m now walking daily and couldn’t be happier. To check out her FREE videos… just search her on Youtube! There’s a ton to choose from.
- Pedometer ++ App : I know I’ve spoken about this before on here, but if you don’t have this app downloaded I encourage you to do so. There is no registration. It’s completely FREE. It counts your steps without having to be open, AND it records it in a bar graph at the bottom of the app so you can see your progress weekly. What’s not to love? It’s a great excuse to get moving more.
- Stop, Think, Breathe App: This app is also FREE (though it does have a monthly plan if you want more in-depth meditations). I use the free section of the app and it works wonders. After a hard workout when you’re cooling down it’s great to sit quietly and allow your body to come into complete balance. The guides on this app have relaxing voices and there are various categories of meditations for you to choose from such as: happiness, anxiety, stress relief, sleep, focus/concentration, etc. Give it a try! I promise it’s really worth it.
- Gloria & Sarah’s Retro Stripes Tankini Swimsuit ($24 USD on Amazon): Okay hear me out on this one. It’s REALLY hard to find quality inexpensive plus size workout wear. I purchased this tankini for my upcoming vacation, but one day recently I worked out in it… and it felt amazing! The bottom piece are like capri workout leggings and are super smooth and stretchy. There is a front panel over the stomach section that makes the fit flattering. But my favorite part is the top. It’s a tank top (which I adore) and while it has built-in cups, they aren’t so massive and can accommodate both large chested and small chested women. It’s really perfect and I’m totally buying another set sometime this year 🙂
- Under Armour Sports Bras: I am hooked to these sports bras. Ladies, if you are looking for a really good sports bra that lifts and holds everything in place while you workout… this is the brand for you. I love that this sports bra has a wide elastic band underneath to lift my chest as well as supporting it. I feel like I can do really hard workouts without my chest hurting at the end. They come in all colors, and while it is a tad pricey… they last. You can check them out here on Amazon!
And now let’s look at today’s recipe 🙂
It’s creamy, it’s delicious, and you should totally have 1 cup each winter just because! Yes, I have been waiting to make a cup of hot cocoa all winter long. Finally I said, “forget it, today is the day!” and into the kitchen I went. While I’m not a fan of the cayenne, Mr. Noob Chef enjoyed his being a bit more spicy. So do what works best for you! Bottom line: it’s super easy, cheap, and tastes way better then the packet stuff. I promise 😉 Enjoy this recipe everyone and as always, keep on moving! ❤
Vegan Hot Cocoa
- 2 1/2 cups soy milk
- 3 spoons white sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch cayenne
Bring the soy milk, sugar, cocoa powder, salt, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper to a simmer in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Remove from the heat and whisk until frothy. Serve immediately.