Easy Southwestern Salad & 10 Good Things That Happened in 2017 [RECIPE]
Happy New Year’s Everyone!!
It’s New Year’s Eve! In just 5.5 hrs. it will be 2018 here. But before we ring in a new year I wanted to look back at 10 good things that happened in 2017. Let’s be honest, it’s much easier to find the bad things (*cough cough* politics) than to find the good. But! I scraped together a list of 10 great things that happened. Here we go….
- Luxury labels went fur-free! Yes, big fashion powerhouses such as Jimmy Choo, Michael Kors, and Gucci permanently parted ways with fur. Veganism is definitely the future!
- Women Marched all across the U.S. in protest of Trump and brought Women’s Rights to the forefront of the media and peoples minds.
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle got engaged!! Yes, she is an American (for now) and yes, she is the first woman of color to be in the U.K.’s Royal Family! Rock on, girl!
- Malala Yousafzai Started College at Oxford. If you haven’t read her memoir, “I Am Malala” I encourage you to do so. It’s incredible! 5 years after being shot in the head by the Taliban for speaking out for girls’ education, she finally got to go to college. If that doesn’t bring tears to your eyes I don’t know what will! ❤
- Wonder Woman was a smash at the box office! Go Gal Gadot! It was definitely a year for women in 2017!
- There was a solar eclipse! The next chance to see one is in 2024.
- Australia legalized Same Sex Marriage! Yay! Welcome aboard, mates! ❤
- 80 People worked together to form a human chain to save drowning swimmers in Panama City, Florida. The compassion and strength of good people is amazing to see!
- Southwest Airlines flew an entire plane full of puppies to help them escape Hurricane Harvey in “Operation Pets Alive”.
- Florida High School students started a club called, “We Dine Together”, so that no one has to eat lunch alone. Rock on, Boca Raton Community High School!
Woo! And now that we all have the good feels… onto today’s recipe! 🙂
This salad recipe is about as easy as it gets. I forgot to make the sofritas (oops!) for this salad so it was very lean with beans, lettuce, and vegetables. The dressing was 2 tablespoons of avocado dip and (yes, it’s not Vegan but…) it was really tasty! I hope you all enjoy this recipe and as always, keep on moving! ❤
Easy Southwestern Salad
Makes: 3 large salad bowls
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1 tomato
- 1 giant handful of super greens
- 2 tbsp pico de gallo per bowl
- 1 cup frozen bell pepper slices, sauteed
- 2 tbsp. guacamole dip per bowl
- 3 tbsp. canned frijoles charros machacados per bowl
Gather your ingredients.
Saute the bell peppers in a pan with a drizzle of oil over medium high for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Chop the tomato. Toss the salad together. I microwaved the beans in a bowl for 1 minute to warm. Mix everything over a bed of chopped lettuce and supergreens and serve! Dinner’s ready! 🙂