Slow Cooker Honey Baked Ham & Filipino Chicken Macaroni Salad [DOUBLE RECIPES!]
Good Morning Beautiful People! ❤
Merry Christmas Eve! I hope you’re snuggled in tight wherever you are 🙂 It’s that time of the year again when I get to gush about everything Christmas. As I get older my desires during Christmas change. This year Mr. Noob Chef and I sat down a few days ago and had a heart to heart. “Okay” he said, “how do we make this weekend relaxing?”. It was an honest question and one that needed to be said because let’s get real, the holidays can get stressful very fast! Whether it’s shopping, or cooking, or dealing with relatives you have no desire to be around… something always pops up. In Filipino culture there is a tradition called Noche Buena. It’s a large feast made (and eaten) at midnight on Christmas Eve/ringing in Christmas Day. We knew we wanted to have a large feast…. but staying up until 12? We get super groggy by 11! lol 🙂 No, that wasn’t happening.
“Alright” I said taking charge, “instead of one large feast on Christmas Day… we will make all of our Christmas recipes all weekend long!”. Problem solved and guess what? I’m not cooking at all on Christmas Day! (Okay, well maybe I’ll make a batch of cookies but that’s about it ❤ ). You get my point. Yes, I’m stepping away from the kitchen on Christmas to enjoy family, time, and a bunch of leftovers. Which brings me to our first part of the Christmas meal: Slow Cooker Honey Baked Ham and Filipino Chicken Macaroni Salad.
If I’m being totally honest, I’ve always hated macaroni salad. I never understood why it was so sour, yet creamy and loaded with oil and fat from mayonnaise. And then Filipinos throw raisins and pineapple in it and really turn this dish on its head! However, I’m pleased to report that I’ve finally whipped up a version of this Filipino favorite that even I can enjoy! My secret: Vegannaise. I know, crazy right?! But my pinoy husband, (who loves macaroni salad a lot) thoroughly enjoyed this salad too. By using Vegannaise instead of regular mayonnaise it kept the creaminess without all the bad fats and oils. It also made the dish lighter. I went a few steps further to make it easy on myself and tossed in grated carrot, canned pineapple tidbits, and shredded Cheddar cheese. It was divine.
Now when it comes to cooking a Christmas ham I’m pretty much in the dark. While I do enjoy ham, I had never cooked one before. “The recipe calls for a 7-10 pound ham, honey” I said to my husband at the store. He came home with a giant 10 pound ham. My eyes went wide with a bit of fear. But, Six Sisters Stuff came to my rescue with this simple recipe that allowed me to pop that huge thing in a slow cooker, drizzle on a homemade marinade, and let it go for 8 hours on LOW. The meat was literally falling off the bone 8 hours later. The secret? After you put the lid on your slow cooker, gently place a bath towel on top to keep it even warmer. It’s brilliant. Now we have 10 lbs. (okay more like 6 lbs. now….) of delicious, juicy, cooked ham to toss into salads, breakfast omelettes… you name it!
Alright that’s it for me, folks! I hope you have a very Merry Christmas and as always, keep on cooking! ❤
Slow Cooker Honey Baked Ham
Makes: 1 (10 pound) ham
- 1 (10 lb. ham)
- 2 tablespoons brown spicy Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Spray your slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray (if you have a slow cooker liner, I suggest using it- it will make clean-up a breeze!). Place ham in the crock pot.
- Combine sugar, honey, nutmeg, cinnamon, and mustard in a sauce pan on medium heat. Let cook for 2-5 minutes (until ingredients melt and combine) and whisk thoroughly. Remove from heat.
- Pour water in the bottom of the crock pot. Pour honey/brown sugar mixture over the ham.
- If the lid does not fit over your ham, you can make a tin foil tent (I used an 8 lb ham and it didn’t fit in my 6 quart slow cooker).
- Cook the ham on low for 6-8 hours. Baste the ham with the juices in the bottom of the slow cooker once every hour.
- Once your ham is done, remove it from your slow cooker. Pour the juices in the bottom of your slow cooker into a medium saucepan. Mix together 2 Tablespoons of cornstarch with 1 Tablespoon of water and pour into the saucepan. Cook on medium heat until it starts to thicken. Use that as a glaze over the ham or even as a gravy for potatoes.
- Even if you don’t have a slow cooker, you can still bake this ham in your oven. Once again, make a tent with aluminum foil and bake 15 to 20 minutes per pound at 350 degrees. Baste the ham once every thirty minutes.
Filipino Chicken Macaroni Salad
Makes: 8 servings
- 1 lb. box elbow macaroni
- 1 lb. cooked chicken (shredded)
- 1 cup Vegannaise
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- A few cranks of fresh ground black pepper
- Boil noodles according to package. Drain and set aside.
- Add in Vegannaise, drained pineapple tidbits, carrots, garlic powder into a large mixing bowl and mix well to combine.
- Add in the Cheddar cheese and cooked chicken and mix well again!
- Finally add a few cranks of fresh ground black pepper and mix well until creamy and smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Serve cold and enjoy!