3-Ingredient Sweet Potato Flatbread and a Day of Rest [RECIPE]
Good Morning Everyone!
How are you on this lovely Saturday? Good Shabbos to those celebrating. My husband loves to say, “even G-d rested on the 7th day… so today we’re taking a break!”. Yes, for us the weekends mean curling up together and slowing way down. Here on my blog, I love to show you how we cook things… the silly stories we have… all without editing much out. I want you to feel a part of the Noob Chef family. I want to inspire you to cook more at home, and eat out less often. I want to show you that healthy food can be tasty and affordable. So I hope you feel welcome here, and if you ever have any questions please comment below and I’ll happily answer all of them!
Today I want to share with you this super cool flatbread recipe I tested out last night. I stumbled across a Youtube video where a woman was making sweet potato flatbread in an “ancient” method by using three ingredients: mashed sweet potatoes, salt, and spelt flour. She kneaded the flour together into the sweet potatoes until it formed a loose dough. Then she rolled it out on her counter until it was nice and thin, and then she popped it in a cast iron skillet to fry until it puffed up on each side.
Now basic fry bread isn’t anything unusual. In North America the Native Americans were making fry bread long before settlers came along. In India I know there are several different breads that are fried. But I was drawn to this recipe in particular because it’s relatively healthy. That…. and I love sweet potatoes. So below you will find this simple recipe that I tweaked until it came out just right. If you’re not a huge fan of yams, that’s okay! This flatbread tastes gently sweet from the potatoes without it being too much sweet potato and not enough flour. Another thing to note, I used all-purpose flour. However you can easily swap that out for whole-wheat flour… chickpea flour, etc. I really hope you enjoy this recipe everyone. Have a wonderful weekend and as always, keep on cooking! ❤
3-Ingredient Sweet Potato Flatbread
- 2 Yams, peeled, boiled, and mashed
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour + 1/2 cup for dusting and kneading
- Peel and then boil the sweet potatoes until tender. Around 20 minutes.
- Drain and set in a bowl to mash. Mash until smooth.
- Add the salt and mix into the potatoes.
- Then add 1 cup of flour into the potatoes and mix until it forms a loose, crumbly dough.
- Pour 1/2 cup of flour onto your counter. Grab a handful of sweet potato dough and mix into the flour on your counter. Knead until it forms a loose dough. Then roll out to desired thinness.
- Heat a skillet to medium-high heat with enough vegetable oil to cover the bottom.
- Fry bread on each side until golden-dark. 1-2 minutes per side. Set aside to cool. Serve hot with toppings such as: falafel, sabich, etc.
This is what a day of rest looks like in our home… 🙂