Copycat Jollibee: Burger Steak [RECIPE]
Good Afternoon Everyone!
It’s a beautiful Saturday and Mr. Noob Chef and I are back with our $10 dinner date recipes! This one is a Filipino favorite. One of the most popular recipes on my blog is Jollibee Spaghetti and Chicken Joy (Fried Chicken). If you’ve never eaten at a Jollibee before, let me set the scene for you. It’s considered a fast food in the Philippines and abroad… however it is anything but.
I first ate at Jollibee in the Bay Area of California. At the time I didn’t think much of it. Their mascot is a bumblebee who is incredibly happy. Hence, jolly-bee. When you walk in, the red and white themed restaurant is clean, spacious, and always full of happy customers. Every time I’ve gone there, the workers behind the counter always greet you with a smile. (Do they pay them to be extra friendly? I don’t know.) But their customer service is on point.
They have a standard menu: spaghetti and fried chicken with brown gravy, burger steak and rice, (or what is also known as Salisbury steak), a few burger choices, and dessert: which is always peach-mango hand pies. Nothing complicated, but wow is their food amazing! If you want to try a dynamite spaghetti recipe that is rich in flavor, and something totally different from the usual savory marinara… head on over and try my Jollibee Spaghetti Recipe. I promise you’ll love it as much as my family does.
But today is date day! Hubby and I wanted to cook up something for the blog that was budget friendly AND would be a great recipe to share. “My mom used to make these little burgers back in the Philippines” he said in the car ride home, “she would put soy sauce, garlic, salt, pepper…. and they were like… almost like mini-meatloafs!”. I ran with the idea. “Babe” I said grinning, “I’m going to make you a Jollibee Burger Steak plate”. It was then that my husband smacked his lips and began to feel hungry.
This dish is actually quite simple and consists of: 2 burger patties, steamed rice, sauteed mushrooms, and beef gravy. All are super easy to make. Now let’s jump into this recipe, shall we? ❤
Copycat Jollibee Burger Steak Plate
For the burgers:
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 4 tbsp. ketchup
- 1 tbsp. yellow mustard
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Salt and black pepper to taste
For the Gravy:
- 1/4 c. or 1/2 stick of butter
- 1/4 c. flour
- 2 cups (or 1- 14.5 ounce can) beef broth
- 1 pack mushrooms, sauteed
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Pour a bit of oil in the pan. Drop in mushroom slices. Saute for 5-10 minutes or until tender. Set aside in a bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients for hamburgers except bread crumbs. Mix well to combine. Then add bread crumbs and mix to form patties.
- Make an indention in the center of each patty with your thumb.
- Pour oil in a deep frying pan and heat on medium-high heat.
- Drop in 2 patties at a time and fry for 3 minutes. Flip over and fry on the other side for 3 more minutes. Set aside on a plate to cool. Repeat until all patties are cooked.
- Now it’s time to make the gravy! In a pot, add the butter over medium heat and let melt. Then add in the flour and whisk to make a roux.
- Next, pour in the beef broth and mix slowly to combine. Add a pinch of salt and a few dashes of black pepper. Continue to mix until the gravy has thickened.
- To plate: Place 1 cup of steamed rice on the plate. Add 2 burger patties. Top the burgers with beef gravy and garnish with sauteed mushrooms. Serve hot and enjoy!