Slow Cooker Pork and Veggie Stew and Cleaning Out the Freezer [RECIPE]
Good Morning Everyone!
Happy Friday AND Happy September!! It’s the start of a new month. Fall is just around the corner, and it’s full steam ahead. Last night was one of those nights where I sat down feeling pretty darn tired. My muscles ached and begged me not to move. I knew in my mind that there was much I needed to get done, so that was when I pulled out my slow cooker. For the record, I love my slow cooker. Summer is still hanging on just enough that in the early afternoon it gets hot… like, “you’re going to sweat and there’s no way around it” hot. I had no desire to cook in that heat. So thankfully, my little slow cooker did the work for me while I sat down in front of a fan.
Now truthfully I had no idea what to make for supper. Somewhere in the back of my freezer I had a pack of pork stew meat. Why? I’m not entirely sure. Obviously I bought it for another recipe and failed to make it. But I saw it and figured I’d try and whip something up with it. (Cue this recipe). “I thought Betty Crocker only makes cakes or something” said my husband as he lapped up his bowl of soup. “Oh no…” I said smirking, “Betty Crocker makes EVERYTHING”. And it’s true! This recipe does not disappoint. And it’s so flexible too. I didn’t have parsnips or butternut squash in my fridge. So I threw in some frozen veggies, fresh carrots, and sweet potatoes! Tada! It worked like a charm.
Just chop up your veggies, toss in the meat with some seasonings, (I even used Trader Joe’s 21 Seasoning Salute), add some chicken broth and let it go! How easy is that? 7 hours later we had a stew that was light, so flavorful, and paired perfectly with steamed rice. I hope you all love this recipe as much as we did. Have a wonderful weekend everyone and keep on cooking! ❤
Slow Cooker Pork and Veggie Stew
Yields: 6-8 servings
- 1.5 lbs. pork boneless stew meat, trimmed of fat
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups chopped parsnips
- 1.5 cups chopped and peeled butternut squash (OR 2 sweet potatoes peeled and chopped)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- Cut pork into 1-inch cubes . In 4 to 5 quart slow cooker, mix pork and remaining ingredients except for flour and butter.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 7 hours.
- In a small bowl, mix flour and butter; gradually stir into stew until blended. Increase heat setting to HIGH. Cover and cook for 30 to 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened.