Yellow Squash Casserole [RECIPE]
Good Morning Everyone!
Happy 132 days until Christmas!! Yes, I have an app that is counting down on my phone 🙂 I know… I’m cheesy. Speaking of cheesy, this casserole is definitely cheesy goodness. When I was picking out what dishes I wanted to cook for the week, something in me was craving cheese. Do you ever crave cheese? I have to be careful not to eat too much… but every now and then I’ll think, “Mmmm I really want mac and cheese” or “Mmmm I really want grilled cheese and tomato soup“. Well this time it was, “Mmmm I really want squash casserole”. Yes, being from the South this side dish is one of my favorites, and if there is ever a time to buy yellow squash… it’s now. So! I added it to the list and off I went to the kitchen.
Like any great casserole this dish couldn’t be easier to make. You simply saute the squash and onion in a pan for a few minutes to soften. Then toss into a mixing bowl with the rest of the ingredients. Mix it all up. Dump into a casserole dish. Top with crushed crackers and bake until it’s perfect, golden, cheesy bliss. Yes, I did swoon. And no… I don’t regret it. It is THAT good. Trust me on this one. Every bite is a little bit of sweetness from the squash, some savory flavors from the Cheddar cheese, and a bit of crunch from the cracker crust. It’s a perfect side to accompany a piece of meat. In my case, I made slow cooker chicken adobo (Mr. Noob Chef’s favorite dish ever) to round out dinner.
So if you’re in need of a comfort dish… OR you’re anxiously awaiting Fall and Winter like I am… give this recipe a try. I promise you won’t be disappointed. Have a wonderful Tuesday everyone, and keep on cooking! ❤
Yellow Squash Casserole
- 4 cups yellow squash
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 sleeve Ritz crackers, crushed
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees (F)/ 200 degrees (C).
- Place squash and onion in a large skillet over medium heat. Pour in a small amount of water, cover, and cook until the squash is tender. About 5-10 minutes. Drain and place in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, mix together half of the cracker crumbles and cheese. Then pour into the squash and onions and mix together. In a small bowl, mix together the milk and eggs, then pour through the squash mixture. Stir in 1/4 cup of melted butter, salt, and black pepper. Pour into a casserole dish and top with remaining cracker crumbles. Add two tablespoons of butter on top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes or until lightly browned.