Chinese Children’s Day and Beef & Cabbage Stir Fry [RECIPE]
Happy National Go Barefoot Day Everyone!
I don’t know why that’s a thing… I love being barefoot a lot. But anyways, hi! 🙂 How are you? It’s Friday which is totally just cause for having a sweet treat, opening up the windows, getting some sun on our face, and just taking things slow. Yesterday was Chinese Children’s Day. Now, my husband and I aren’t Chinese, but after reading up and learning about this holiday, I figured it would be a fun way to teach my little one more about Chinese culture… all while cooking up something yummy!
Chinese Children’s Day is a day where schools close, parents take off work, and the focus is all about your child. It isn’t a day for lavish gifts. Instead, you give the gift of time. So yesterday I made the whole day all about her. We had an amazing day of bonding, laughing until our cheeks hurt, and just exploring the things she enjoys. We got in the kitchen and made potstickers together. (Admittedly she was more enjoying eating them than making them 😉 ) and then we made a stir fry over supper and watched one of her favorite movies. At the end of the day she smiled over at me and said, “Mom, you know what my favorite part of the day was?”. “What baby?” I asked. “Just getting some really cool time with you” she said. (Cue me melting into a puddle on the floor)…
So there we were, gathered around the TV watching our favorite movie with a spread of Asian dishes and a heaping bowl of steamed rice. This Beef and Cabbage Stir Fry was absolutely dynamite! The best part? It’s super cheap too! I can’t remember the last time I had ground beef, but it was just enough to make the dish flavorful and hearty, while still having a ton of veggies and being light enough to eat with rice. In short, it was great! Cook it. Love it. You won’t regret it, I promise 🙂
And now without further delay… the recipe! ❤
Beef and Cabbage Stir Fry
Stir Fry Sauce:
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 tbsp. sriracha
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/2 head green cabbage
- 2 carrots
- 3 green onions
- 1/2 tbsp. cooking oil
- 1/2 lb. lean ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp. fresh grated ginger
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- Prepare the stir fry sauce first. In a small bowl stir together the soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, sriracha, and brown sugar. Set the sauce aside.
- Shred the vegetables so they are ready to go when you need them. Cut one small cabbage in half, remove the core, and then finely shred the leaves of one half the cabbage (4-6 cups once shredded, save the other half for another recipe). Peel two carrots, then use a cheese grater to shred them (1 cup shredded). Slice three green onions. Mince two cloves of garlic. Peel a knob of ginger using either a vegetable peeler or by scraping with the side of a spoon, then grate it using a small-holed cheese grater.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once hot add the cooking oil, ground beef, garlic, ginger, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook the beef until browned (about five minutes).
- Add the cabbage and carrots to the skillet and continue to stir and cook until the cabbage is slightly wilted (or fully wilted, if you prefer). Stir in the prepared sauce and the green onions. Top with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and a drizzle of sriracha, then serve.