Vegan Sofritas Burrito Bowls for Lazy Nights [RECIPE]
Good Morning Everyone!
Happy Friday 🙂 I hope you all are having a lovely morning. This week has been a very long week over here in the Noob Chef household. As such, I didn’t feel like cooking a lot. A couple of days ago it was an exceptionally long day. Mr. Noob Chef got stuck at the office and I had no idea when to cook dinner so it would be hot when he arrived home. It was then that I said: screw it. I decided to create a recipe with basic pantry ingredients that I could do on the fly in 15 minutes or less and that way I wouldn’t have to worry about timing dinner correctly.
This burrito bowl was the perfect solution. It reminded me of Chipotle’s burrito bowl. (Note to self: I really need to learn how to make their corn salsa. It’s so good!). I just heated up a can of black beans and poured it into a communal bowl. Then I topped them with canned corn, chopped tomatoes, sofritas-style tofu, green onions, and diced avocado. I placed a bowl of tortilla chips on the table and said, “dig in family!” and dinner was served. No one minded one bit. In fact, this filling had plenty of leftovers and everyone’s belly was happily full. So go ahead and give this simple tofu recipe a try. You can easily put it into tacos and freezer burritos too! Enjoy everyone and have a fantastic weekend! ❤
Vegan Sofritas Burrito Bowls
Yields: 6-8 servings
- 1 can black beans, drained and heated
- 1 can corn drained
- 1 tomato, diced
- 3 green onions, diced
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
For Sofritas Tofu:
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. red chili pepper powder (I used Korean gochugaru)
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. sriracha
- 1 tsp. minced ginger
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. canola oil
- In a large skillet, pour oil in the pan and turn on the stove to medium heat. Drain and crumble the tofu in your hands and drop into the pan. Wait until the tofu begins to sizzle.
- Then add the salt, vinegar, garlic, ginger, and all of the spices and mix through the tofu until well combined. Let the tofu continue cooking on medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes. Then add the Sriracha and fry for an additional minute. At this point the tofu should be crispy on the edges.
- In a microwave safe bowl, drain and heat up the can for black beans for about 1 min. 30 seconds. Then pour into a communal bowl.
- Top with a can of corn (drained), diced tomatoes, and then add the tofu on top.
- Garnish with green onions and diced avocado. Serve hot with tortilla chips and enjoy!