Vegan Mac and Cheese, Shaving with Coconut Oil, and Diet Updates! [RECIPE]
Good Afternoon Everyone!
Woohoo it’s Friday!!! Go ahead and dance in your chair, I’ll wait.
I hope you are having a fantastic day! I have so many things to share with you so let’s jump right into it. Today is Day 6 of the family going Vegan. I have lost 8 pounds so far (woohoo!) and y’all I couldn’t feel better. As a dieting veteran, I can attest that this lifestyle is like nothing I’ve ever done before. I’ve tried weight watchers, jenny craig, slim-fast, south beach diet, atkins, etc. etc. But going Vegan has been the best decision I’ve made for myself in a long time.
The sugar cravings have passed and now I feel like my body is in overdrive. Oh did I mention that I am not starving myself? Quite the opposite! I’m eating higher calorie foods (like avocados and dates) except that they are real, clean foods. So my body seems to know how to burn them off and I end up with a ton of energy! Yes, just a few days ago I pulled a nearly 20 hour day and still had the energy to workout! Not only that, but my skin has never looked better. While I never struggled with acne, my skin tends to get oily in the morning. Lately my skin has looked clean and clear and I think it’s because of my diet! 🙂
Speaking of skin… ladies pull up a chair because have I got a beauty tip for you! So I was browsing sites a few days ago when I stumbled across a piece of information that suggested to shave with coconut oil. At first I thought, “what?! won’t that make my legs feel all oily and slimy?”. But it doesn’t. Not even close! So I gave it a try. Not only was I able to shower without ANY irritation, but my legs felt as smooth as silk for hours afterward! Give it a try. I promise you it’s worth it. I’m never going back to shaving cream again.
Alright, now let’s look at today’s recipe.
Macaroni and cheese. Needless to say, I love macaroni and cheese. On my blog here you can find a sweet potato tuna macaroni and cheese, and Paula Deen’s mac and cheese. Both are great, (especially the sweet potato one), but it was time to make a Vegan mac and cheese. Y’all… hands down this one tastes the best. Why? The sauce is made of 3 potatoes (2 russet and 1 sweet potato), 2 carrots, 1 onion, 1 cup of soaked cashews, spices, and nutritional yeast. Blend it all together and those starches make the sauce thick and creamy while the nutritional yeast makes the sauce smooth and cheesy. It’s delicious!!! I cannot rave enough about it. Lastly, from start to finish this dish takes a whopping 20 minutes to make. Perfect for those who don’t like to cook, who are busy, or fellow vegans who are craving a bit of comfort food. So go ahead and give this dish a try! 🙂 Have an excellent weekend everyone and as always, keep on cooking! ❤
Easy Vegan Mac and Cheese
Yields: 4-6 servings
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled
- 1 sweet potato, peeled
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 box small elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup unsalted cashews
- 1 cup of starchy cooking water
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- In a large pot boil the vegetable bouillon, potatoes, carrot, and onion together until soft. (About 10 minutes). When 5 minutes are remaining, drop in the cashews and continue to boil until the 10 minutes are up.
- Meanwhile in a second pot, boil the macaroni according to the box instructions. Drain and set aside in a large bowl.
- Ladle out 1 cup of the cooking liquid from the potato pot and pour into a food processor or blender. Drain the rest and add the carrots, onion, cashews, and potato into the food processor or blender. Puree until smooth. Then add the spices, salt and pepper, and 4 tablespoons of nutritional yeast. Blend again until well combined and cheesy.
- Pour the sauce over the macaroni and mix through. Eat hot and enjoy!