Rainbow Veggie Pizza [RECIPE]
Good Morning Everyone!
A Very Happy Thursday to you! Woo! We are almost through another week. I love Spring. I like feeding the birds on my windowsill, looking at newly blossoming flowers, and weeks of sunshine. However, there is one small thing I could live without: allergies. I don’t know if it’s an age thing, or what… but somewhere along the way I developed seasonal allergies. I woke up this morning with the biggest sinus headache imaginable. Not fun. But you know what is fun? Sinking your teeth into a giant slice of pizza! 🙂
Put your hand on your heart and tell me you don’t love pizza. I dare you. Yeah, I can’t do it either. Pizza is an amazing vessel for all kinds of foods. You can go flatbread style and make a naan-esque pizza with curried chicken, pesto and greens. Or maybe hummus and veggies? And then you have the deep dish pizzas that are a marathon to devour even one slice! The possibilities are endless. In the previous post I shared with you an Italian-style pizza. Today I want to share with you my take on the rainbow pizza. This idea came to me after browsing through Facebook. A video popped up where a woman had made a rainbow pizza. “Cute!” I said out loud and showed my family her creation. Though I wanted different veggies, I decided to set out to make my own version of the rainbow pizza.
My rainbow includes red and orange bell peppers, yellow summer squash, broccoli, purple onion, and of course cheese. As Mary Berry would say, “it’s scrummy”. (Yummy + Scrumptious = scrummy. Yeah… I like that word. Scrummy!). Anyway, it’s delicious and I’m sure you will love it too. My little one absolutely loved each and every bite. With so many vegetables you can easily go light on the cheese and no one will know. Enjoy this wonderful veggie-filled pizza everyone and keep on cooking! ❤
Rainbow Veggie Pizza
Yields: 6-8 servings
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 2 small yellow squash, cut into rings
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup purple onion, peeled and diced
- 1/3 cup pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese
- 1 14-inch pizza pie (see previous post for dough recipe)
- In a skillet, saute the bell peppers until slightly softened, about 8-10 minutes over medium heat. Set aside in a bowl. Then add the onion to the pan and saute for 3-4 minutes until slightly softened and set aside in a separate bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees (F).
- If you’re using homemade dough, roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to make a 14-inch pizza pie. Create an indention about 1/2-inch from the edge of the pizza, and use your other hand to make a raised edge on the outside of the pizza.
- Spread the sauce on the pizza carefully with a tablespoon and smooth it out across the pizza. Then begin assembling your rainbow. Place the red bell peppers along the edge of the pizza sauce. Then add the orange bell pepper pieces. Next, add the yellow summer squash circles taking care to make them look uniform on the pizza. Next add the broccoli florets. Finally place diced purple onion pieces in the center of the pizza.
- Top with 1/2 cup of Mozzarella cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes. Serve hot and enjoy!