Avocado and Egg Salad Sandwiches for St. Patrick’s Day! [RECIPE]
Good Morning Everyone!
It’s Friday and it’s St. Patrick’s Day! Woohoo! Today is definitely a cause for celebration. Growing up my family used to take me to see the local St. Patrick’s Day parade. I would wear my green beret (complete with a white pom pom on top) and wave the Irish flag. My paternal Grandma is 100% Irish complete with fiery red hair, and while I don’t look like Princess Merida, I definitely have Irish pride in my blood. I love St. Patrick’s Day! Even if you aren’t religious, you can still don your green attire and eat some great food.
Speaking of food…
There are tons of recipes out there for this holiday, but many of them are unhealthy. They are either loaded with meat or are super sweet. I was on a mission to avoid both. Now let me pause here for a moment. I did end up making a no-bake mint Oreo cheesecake for Mr. Noob Chef’s St. Patrick’s Day work party. You all will see pictures of that recipe later on today. However that cake was kept out of the home and away from our bellies. 🙂
Anyway let’s talk about these sandwiches. For some reason my husband loves egg salad. Don’t get me wrong, every now and then I like a nice egg salad sandwich. But I wouldn’t say it’s my “go to” choice. That is… until I tried it with avocado. Y’all my mouth was doing an Irish jig last night as I tasted this sandwich. Normally I put a good bit of mayonnaise to make the egg salad creamy. This recipe only calls for 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise, (use Greek yogurt if you want to keep the calories even lower), and lets the avocado take care of the rest! The result is a rich, creamy sandwich filling that is fit for a king. We also put fresh spinach leaves on our sandwich and used a sunflower seed loaf of bread. It was heaven. Enjoy this recipe everyone and have a Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
Avocado and Egg Salad Sandwiches
Yields: 3 sandwiches
- 6 eggs, peeled and hard-boiled
- 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise
- 1 avocado, pitted and mashed
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 handful of fresh spinach leaves
- 6 slices of sturdy sandwich bread
- Hard-boil the eggs, then peel and set into a mixing bowl. Mash with a fork until they are ground up into small bits.
- Add the tablespoon of mayonnaise. Mix until combined through.
- Peel, pit, and mash the avocado into the egg salad. Mix until well combined. (It should now look like a beautifully green avocado egg salad!).
- Assemble your sandwich: Place several spinach leaves on the bread. Add 2 tbsp. of avocado egg salad filling. Top with the remaining piece of bread and you’re done! Eat and enjoy!