Food & Feels: The 30 Day Body Confidence Challenge!
Good Morning Everyone!
I have been so excited to share this new November project I created for my blog. Before I reveal the details of the challenge, let’s talk for a moment about body confidence. Lately in the news there has been a major push for plus-sized women to be portrayed more in the media. High end fashion designers are beginning to feature women of all shapes and sizes on their runway, and you know what? I think it’s fantastic! Body confidence. Just as the name suggests, this challenge is all about taking time to love who you are, where you are, right now. It doesn’t matter what you look like, what weight you are, what gender, race, sexuality, etc. Who you are is beautiful and that should be celebrated.
I admit that at times, having body confidence is easier said then done. I’m no stranger to hopping on fad diets and trying to shave off just a few more pounds. Sometimes I’ll stand in the mirror and find fault after fault on my body. But recently I looked at myself and thought, “You know what? I’m not perfect. No one is. But who I am, and where I am, right now.. is enough”. The feeling was liberating. This month I want to not only take time to be thankful, but to celebrate ourselves. I want us to do intentional things that uplift us everyday all while cooking delicious, healthy recipes. If life is a journey, I am ready to ride that wave into the sunset.
So now, let’s get to the details of the challenge!
Everyday I will be sharing a new, delicious recipe with you. You can expect the ingredients to be simple, healthy, and budget-friendly to accommodate for just about any household. Along with the daily recipe I will also be providing one task for you to do each day to promote self-love. These tasks will always be something easy, and attainable. The goal is to have you feeling warm, loved, and happy towards yourself as you continue about your day. So without further delay… here is Day 1 of the challenge! Enjoy everyone and keep on smiling! 🙂
Day 1 Body Confidence Task:
- Write down 5 things you like about yourself and stick it on your mirror.
Day 1 Food & Feels Recipe:
- 2 extra large eggs
- ½ cup water
- 1.5 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- ¾ to 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4-5 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 carrot
- 3 green onions
- 2 Tbsp oil for frying
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp sriracha
- ½ Tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 green onions
- Remove any wilted leaves from the outside of the cabbage. Cut the cabbage into quarters and remove the core. Thinly slice or shred half of the cabbage, or until you have 4-5 cups shredded cabbage. Peel the carrot and shred it using a large-holed cheese grater. Slice the green onions.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, water, soy sauce, and sesame oil until smooth. Begin whisking in the flour, ¼ cup at a time, until it forms a thick, smooth batter (about 1 cup total flour).
- Add the cabbage, carrots, and green onion to the batter and stir until the vegetables are mixed and everything is evenly coated in batter.
- Heat ½ Tbsp oil in a non-stick or cast iron skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add ¾ cup of the vegetable and batter mixture. Press it down into the hot skillet to form a circle, about 6 inches in diameter and ½ inch thick. Place a cover on the skillet to hold in the steam, which will help the cabbage soften as it cooks. Cook the pancake until golden brown on the bottom (3-5 minutes), then flip and cook until golden brown on the second side. Pile the cooked pancakes on a plate and cover with foil to keep warm until ready to eat. Add more oil to the skillet as needed as you cook the pancakes.
- To prepare the sriracha mayo, mix together ¼ cup mayonnaise and 2 Tbsp sriracha in a small bowl. Drizzle the sriracha mayo over the pancakes just before serving, followed with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and sliced green onion.