Mustard-Glazed Drumsticks [Simple Recipe]
Good morning everyone!
In the last post I shared with you how easy it is to cook drumsticks in the oven. Chicken drumsticks can be a simple, affordable, and easy weeknight meal for the whole family to enjoy. Last time I suggested you brush your favorite bottle of marinade on the drumsticks and pop them into the oven. Today I want to ramp things up a notch and share with you a homemade marinade that is absolutely dynamite! Mustard-Glazed Drumsticks!
Now if you’re not a big fan of mustard, don’t worry. This blend has just enough tangy flavor from the mustard, and sweetness from a bit of sugar to make it taste like your own honey-glaze marinade. I admit that I tasted a dab of the marinade (pre-cooking) and was a bit worried because the flavors were strong! The vinegar was a punch to the palate and the soy sauce echoed with its own salty taste. “Is this going to work?” I wondered to myself and dipped each drumstick into the sticky marinade.
After 45 minutes of roasting in the oven I can tell you with 100% certainty… yes!!! It tastes fantastic! While cooking, the vinegar mellows out, the soy sauce becomes more muted, and the mustard caramelizes a bit to taste more like honey! In short, it’s divine.
So let’s jump right into the recipe, shall we?! 😀
Courtesy of: America’s Test Kitchen, “6 Ingredients or Less” Cookbook
Yields: 4 (but there was plenty of leftover marinade so make a bigger batch with the same amount of ingredients if you like!)
- 2 scallions
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup whole-grain mustard (Like Grey Poupon)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees (F). Place aluminum foil on a baking sheet.
- Combine the sugar, mustard, soy sauce, and apple cider vinegar into a mixing bowl. Stir until well combined. (It should look like a thick, sticky marinade).
- Mince the scallions. Save the green part for garnish, and store the white parts for another recipe. Set aside.
- Dip each drumstick into the mustard glaze and coat thoroughly and place onto the covered baking sheet.
- Cook in the oven for 25 minutes. Then flip each drumstick over and continue cooking for an additional 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Garnish with chopped green scallions and serve hot. Enjoy!