Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potatoes and the Ridding of Tablets
Good Morning Everyone!
I hope you all are having a good weekend. Yesterday I was running errands with the family. This summer I’ve noticed that my daughter has taken quite a liking to our iPad. Not that I blame her, really. Her generation has grown up technology everywhere. Apps are the norm, and if you need something… you simply text the person! But for me, that wasn’t the norm. Summer days were spent reading, listening to music, and splashing in the pool. And quite frankly, I miss more of that.
I was joking around with my husband yesterday when I asked him if he knew what Tinder was. He said he had heard of it. How can you form a real relationship, or a “spark” (if you will), by swiping left or right simply based upon looks? I don’t get it. Anyway, so my daughter, like most school-age children has a love of Minecraft and Youtube for Kids. I monitor what she sees pretty closely. There are no FPS games going on in the house, and I certainly wouldn’t let her roam on normal Youtube unsupervised.
But lately I’ve been in this zen mood. I’ve desired to slow down…. unplug… and relax. And so this weekend I gathered up the family and we headed to a local used bookstore for a bit of shopping. I told my family to each pick out a book that they want to read this summer. My daughter got excited and picked out the new Disney Descendants novel, “Isle of the Lost”. My husband gladly sat in a chair poking around Dan Brown books, and me…. I made a bees line for the cookbook and religion section. In the end, we walked away with a bag full of books and a renewed hobby.
This summer I am promising myself to take time to enjoy life. I am pumping the brakes on our crazy, busy schedule and nourishing my body, mind, and soul. I can’t wait to see my family curled up reading outside, and truly soaking up the summer.
To accompany this new-found zen mood, I present to you a super healthy Vegan dinner: Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potatoes, courtesy of one of my favorite Youtubers, The Happy Pear. These Irish twin brothers are all about eating clean, while making things taste super flavorful. My family and I adored this recipe, and the best part is the oven does 90% of the work! Enjoy this delicious recipe everyone and keep on cooking! 🙂
Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Yields: 1 yam (2 sides stuffed) per person!
- 1 sweet potato/yam per person
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can corn, drained
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red chilli, de-seeded and diced
- 1 small bunch coriander/cilantro
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 large avocado, pitted and chopped
- Preheat oven to 180 C/ 350 F
2. Cut the ends off the sweet potatoes and cut in half.
3. Roast sweet potatoes on a baking tray for approx 1 hour, or until a fork inserted into the flesh comes out easily. Remove sweet potatoes from oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
4. Once sweet potatoes done in oven, scoop out flesh and place into a large mixing bowl. Try to leave a thin layer around the skin so that it can stand up on its own. Place skins back onto tray and return to oven and bake for a further 10 minutes, allowing the skins to get nice and crispy.
5. While the skins are baking, mash up the scooped out sweet potato flesh. Add the black beans and sweet corn. Finely chop the scallions. Peel and finely chop the garlic. Deseed and finely chop the chilli. Add the cumin, paprika, juice of the lime, salt and black pepper. Roughly chop the coriander and add also and mix thoroughly.
6. Remove skins from oven and fill each skin with sweet potato mixture.
7. Top with slices of avocado.