Sometimes I get weird ideas for recipes. Last night as I was looking over the Manila Major brackets, I noticed MVP Phoenix vs. OG coming up. This Korean DOTA 2 team has been unstoppable in the tournament. Many thought MVP would fall to Team Liquid, but with a 2-0 sweep they pressed on in the upper brackets and are moving towards the finals.
Now let’s focus a moment on Korean cooking. I wanted to do a Korean dish in honor of MVP Phoenix. Really, I did. And yes, I have cooked Korean food (successfully) before. But last night…. I was craving pizza. I know, it’s not the healthiest. But sometimes you just need a slice of pizza! Thankfully I had a roll of pizza dough in the fridge and plenty in the pantry to let my imagination run wild. This Moroccan-inspired pizza turned out beautiful and delicious, but my favorite part was the cooked egg on top. The creamy yolk made everything so savory and sweet. It was the perfect compliment to the spicy marinara sauce I made.
So if you’re feeling adventurous, or if you’re just craving pizza, go ahead and give this fun little recipe a try! Cheers everyone and let’s get cooking! 🙂
Courtesy of: Lisa aka The Noob Chef
Yields: 6 servings
For the sauce:
- 2 (8 oz.) cans tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried sweet basil
- 1 tsp. red chili pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp. jarred pesto
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. za’atar
- Salt and black pepper to taste
For the Pizza:
- 1 can pizza dough
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup spicy marinara sauce
- 6 bacon slices, cooked and chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Begin by preheating your oven to 425 degrees (F)/218 degrees (C).
- In a medium sauce pan on medium-low heat begin by pouring in the tomato sauce. Next, add the minced garlic, oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, pesto, za’atar, sugar, and stir to combine evenly. Continue stirring as you add salt and pepper to your tastes. Once you’re happy with the balance of heat in your sauce, turn your stove to low and move on to the bacon.
- In a medium sauce pan, spray the pan with cooking spray to grease it lightly. (Note: When cooking bacon I rarely put oil in the pan because bacon is fatty enough that it gives plenty of grease). Turn the heat to medium and while the pan is warming, chop up your bacon into bite-sized pieces. Place them in the frying pan and cook until crisp.
- Roll the canned dough out onto a greased baking sheet and par-bake it for 5 minutes.
- Next, pull out the crust and spread on 1 cup of marinara sauce and 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese. Gently crack the 5 eggs throughout the pizza making sure they aren’t too close together. Lastly, tuck in the cooked bacon pieces.
- Turn up the oven to 450 degrees (F)/ 232 degrees (C) and continue baking for 5-8 minutes, or until the whites are cooked.
- Remove from the oven, garnish with the chopped green onions, serve hot and enjoy! 🙂
Use leftover marinara for normal, breakfast Shakshuka in the morning! 🙂