Cocktails, Mocktails, and Team Liquid (DOTA 2)
I don’t drink. Not because I’m religious or anything. I just have never enjoyed the taste of alcohol. So you can imagine my surprise when I read about “mocktails”. Now you can be part of the “cool kids” club, while sipping alcohol-free beverages. Team Liquid’s colors are blue and white so I hopped online to see what blue cocktails and mocktails were out there. It was then that I discovered the Blue Hawaiian Cocktail. Now I’m going to share a noob secret with you:
I’ve never made a cocktail before. So needless to say, I don’t have the fancy cocktail making equipment. I don’t know what a jigger is used for. Nor do I know what drinks should be shaken or stirred. (And why do they salt some glasses?). When I read the recipe for these cocktails everything was measured in ounces. At first I blinked and scratched my head. I knew that I had no baking tools that measured in ounces. How would I figure this out? Then I remembered my medicine cabinet. You know those little cups that come with the medicine bottles? The measuring lines are in milliliters! And 30 ml. = 1 ounce! 🙂 Pretty cool, eh? So yes…. I did use a medicine cup to measure these cocktails but it worked just fine! Problem solved noob-style!
Now let’s pause and learn a little bit about Team Liquid:
Team Liquid’s Dota 2 team was formed in October 2015 under the name of “5Jungz”. Following his exit from team Secret, Kuroky assembled a a group of Europeans namely MATUMBAMAN, Fata-, Mind_control and Jerax to form a stable group before the upcoming Frankfurt Majors.
They performed considerably well but not quite at the highest level until later on. Their first big break came in The Defense Season 5 where they took the championship. Months later on, they got further success by placing second in the Shanghai Major and 1st place in Epicenter LAN.
They are currently ranked first in most people’s power rankings, because of solid performances recently and overall skill level. Team Liquid is expected to take it all in the upcoming Manila Major and they look ready to live up to that potential!
Now onto the cocktail and mocktail recipes!
Blue Hawaiian Cocktail
- 1 fluid ounce light rum
- 1 fluid ounce blue Curacao liqueur
- 2 fluid ounces pineapple juice
- 1 fluid ounce cream of coconut
- 1 cup crushed ice
- 1 pineapple slice
- 1 maraschino cherry
- Combine rum, blue Curacao, pineapple juice, cream of coconut, and 1 cup crushed ice in blender. Puree on high speed until smooth. Pour into chilled highball glass.
- Garnish with a slice of pineapple and a maraschino cherry.
Blue Hawaiian Mocktail (Alcohol-Free)
- 3 ounces pineapple juice
- 1 ounce fresh squeezed orange juice (store bought is okay, but may ruin the final color.)
- 2-3 drops of blue food coloring, not too much or your mocktail will be green!
- *Optional: 1 ounce of Coco Lopez coconut creme
- Chill a hurricane glass
- In a shaker filled with ice, combine all ingredients.
- Shake well to incorporate ingredients and strain into the chilled hurricane glass filled with ice. Garnish with a slice of pineapple and a maraschino cherry.