Basic Lemon Cupcakes
Sometimes late at night I love to indulge in a little sweet treat. Nothing too decadent and certainly nothing too processed suits me just fine. My family often giggles when I all-of-a-sudden burst into the kitchen and bake something delicious and gooey. With Spring time here my body has been craving citrus flavors and fruit desserts. These simple lemon cupcakes do not disappoint! With lemon juice and freshly grated lemon zest, these little cupcakes pack a nice, tart punch. I found them to be a refreshing change from the usual sugary flavor you often find in other cupcakes. Instead, these little lemon gems are moist, spongy, and satisfying.
So the next time you in need of a fast dessert, go ahead and give these little cupcakes a try: baking experience not required 😉 Have an awesome day everyone!
Courtesy of: Allrecipes.com
Serves: 30 cupcakes
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 cup whole milk, divided
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- Lemon Cream Icing:
- 2 cups chilled heavy cream
- 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line 30 cupcake pan cups with paper liners.
- Sift the self-rising flour and salt together in a bowl. In another bowl, beat the unsalted butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, beating each egg until incorporated before adding the next. Mix in the vanilla extract and lemon zest.
- Gently beat the flour mixture into the butter mixture, one third at a time, alternating with half the milk and half the lemon juice after each of the first 2 additions of flour. Beat until just combined; do not over mix.
- Fill the prepared cupcake liners with batter 3/4 full, and bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 17 minutes. Let the cupcakes cool in the pans for about 10 minutes before removing them to finish cooling on a rack.
- To make the icing, beat the cream in a chilled bowl with an electric mixer set on Low until the cream begins to thicken. Add the confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice, a little at a time, beating after each addition, until fully incorporated. Increase the mixer speed to High, and beat until the icing forms soft peaks, about 5 minutes. Spread on the cooled cupcakes. Refrigerate leftovers.