Green Spears and Ham (Kid-friendly recipe)
As a mom I’m always coming up with ways to sneak more vegetables on the plate. Thankfully my daughter isn’t a picky eater and is down to try just about anything in the produce department. However, a friend of mine recently told me how her children wouldn’t eat anything green. “What would you do?” she asked me. Without missing a beat I told her to disguise the veggies, and make cooking fun. It’s all about getting kids in the kitchen early and this recipe, courtesy of Giada de Laurentiis, does just that. As I watched her show, “Giada At Home” on Netflix, I was impressed with how she incorporated her daughter into her program. Get children tasting, cooking, and trying new things early on, and their palates will grow and develop an appreciation for a wide variety of textures and flavors.
Now onto the recipe!
Green spears and ham is the perfect recipe for Spring. Asparagus spears tend to be slightly bitter. But when roasted with a drizzle of olive oil, salt, and Parmesan cheese, they become soft, tender, and sweet. After roasting for 10 minutes the asparagus are then rolled up in a citrus-infused mascarpone cheese spread that is sandwiched on a slice of deli ham. If you can’t find mascarpone cheese you can easily substitute it with cream cheese. I found this recipe to be simple, easy, and a healthy alternative to our regular lunch menus. So go ahead and get your kids in the kitchen. Whip up this simple lunch menu and tell me what you think! Comment below or hop on over to our Facebook page and leave me your thoughts. Have an awesome day everyone and keep cooking!
Green Spears and Ham
Courtesy of: Giada de Laurentiis, “Giada At Home” show
- 2 bundles of asparagus
- 1/2 cup Mascarpone cheese (or cream cheese), at room temperature
- 1 orange, zested
- olive oil
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 lb. deli honey baked deli ham, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees (F).
- Chop off the bottom thick, fibrous portion of the asparagus stems and discard.
- Spread out the asparagus on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and Parmesan cheese and roast for 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the cheese spread. In a mixing bowl add the mascarpone cheese, a pinch of salt, and the zest of 1 orange and mix until evenly combined.
- When the asparagus are finished and cooled it’s time to wrap and roll! (This is a great part to get little kids involved).
- Take a piece of deli ham, spread some cheese spread on it. Place a piece of asparagus at the edge of the cheese and ham and roll it up inside the ham!
- Repeat until all the asparagus are wrapped up and enjoy!